1. Connection and community is crucial
I’m a HUGE advocate of the importance of getting outta ya house to move and connect with like minded people in your local community (and SCIENCE backs this up). This has not changed since COVID came about. But, in 2022 and beyond HEALTHY ONLINE COMMUNITIES play a critical role in our long term health and wellness.
Being apart of an online community you are familiar with can be incredibly empowering and uplifting. When you know the instructor by name, and they know yours. When you know the structure of a workout and are familiar with the moves. When you’ve met the like-minded women you’re working out alongside (virtually) in real life. There is great comfort in a known entity. It can help us feel emotionally connected, despite the physical distance.
Connect with our online community here:
2. Follow a program or action plan
3. Focus on the good feels
You know the feelings you get after completing a SAY YES workout – channel that! Even though you’re watching it through a screen, disconnect your mind from drama and let yourself be consumed by those feel-good-fitness-feels. Reset your mind, body and soul. Let it go and move!
4. Set a simple pre-workout routine
- Take 5 big deep belly breathes and have a drink of water before you go get changed and set up??
- Plug some motivating music into your ears whilst you get ready to workout at home (ie. get changed, fill up your water bottle, grab your workout equip)??
- Do the same simple but invigorating warm up routine before every workout??
- Jump into the online group and comment on the workout you’re about to complete. Jump back on after and comment on how you went. ??
5. Have some simple workout equipment
- Dumbbells (2kg, 3kg and maybe 4kg)
- Exercise Mat (I highly recommend Jarin Street Yoga Mats available online and YinYoga Mats available from Favourite Daughter)
- Booty Bands
- Resistance Bands
- Stepper / Step / Bench
- Laptop & Headphones
6. Keep your workout area tidy and equipment accessible
7. Have your music ready
7. Pre-fill your water bottle
9. Keep your fan plugged in
10. Have a spot to place your laptop or a phone holder/cradle
**BONUS TIPS for Mammas!**
- Embrace the messiness. Uninterrupted workout? What about stopping for cuddles with, handing out snacks mid workout, giving up your exercise mat and the list goes on
- Adjust your expectations. 45min workout? What 10min workout, or multiple 10min blocks?
- Accept what you can get done and celebrate it.
- Swap those negative thoughts for more positive ones can help: When I move my body I’m setting a good example for my babe. All these small bouts of exercise add up over the week. A short messy workout is better than no workout at all
- Snacks and screens lady! Give kids good snacks and screens. Do as much as you can whilst they are pre-occupied with those.
- Say Yes to boundaries! Lovingly tell them you are doing this for you and you’ll be with them when you’re finished. Repeat, repeat, repeat and repeat it again. It’s annoying as hell but they will eventually (albeit slowly) grasp what is going on.