Wooohoooo! We’re soooo excited you’ve joined us and are totally pumped to help you SAY YES to more of what you LOVE in life!!
6 TIPS FOR THE BEGINNER or NEW MEMBER!
1. FOCUS ON CREATING A POSITIVE RELATIONSHIP WITH HEALTH AND A SUSTAINABLE FITNESS ROUTINE FROM THE VERY START
Taking the first step is often the hardest, but also the most important. We strongly believe how you approach this first step (mentally, emotionally, physically) can make a HUGE difference!
Remember, you don’t need to achieve all your health and fitness goals in the first 2 weeks…. this is just the beginning. Now is not the time to be going from ZERO to 100. Focus on getting yourself into your workout gear, out the door and to class 1-3 times a week to being.
2. IF YOU HAVE PRE-EXISITING INJURIES OR ONGOING PAINS/NIGGLES…
Find a physiotherapist / exercise physiologist team who can take you through a thorough movement assessment, give you some techniqiue coaching and/or corrective exercises. We highly recommend FIELDWORK HEALTH in INGLEWOOD.
3. IF YOU HAVE PELVIC FLOOR WEAKNESS OR CONCERNS….
Find a Women’s Health Physiotherapist who can assess your Pelvic Floor muscle strength and give you a tailored exercise program to get these important muscles functioning at their best. We highly recommend LIBBY BORMAN at LIFE READY PHYSIO in YOKINE.
4. DON’T WAIT FOR PERMISSION TO MODIFY EXERCISES TO SUIT YOUR BODY
Please know you have the right to adjust any exercise, ask for different equipment, substitute or skip any exercise in our classes. You can ask the instructor before/during the class for their suggestions or alternative exercises or modifications if something is too hard / too easy / not quite right for you. You can also tee up a time to chat more about you and YOUR individual needs. We want the class to be accessible, enjoyable and safe for all involved.
5. LEARN WHY & HOW YOU MIGHT MODIFY EXERCISES TO SUIT YOUR BODY
Here are some of the common REASONS we modify moves:
- You are pregnant or post natal
- Your are peri-menopausal or menopausal
- You are recovering from an injury or have underlying imbalances or muscle weaknesses
- You haven’t exercised in a long time
- Whilst at classes, you let us know (or we observe) any of the following:
- You feel the exercise in a different location to where the instructor is describing (ie. this can indicate you are bringing on accessory muscles to complete the move)
- You feel pain or discomfort during movements (ie. pressure in the lower back, knee discomfort, shoulder pain etc)
- You have to screw up your face or hold your breath to complete a move
- Lower the impact: Remove the bounce or jump in cardio moves
- Take pressure off your wrists: Do exercises on all fours rather than in plank position, or come completely off your wrists (ie. chest press rather than push ups)
- Separate the moves: We often do HYBRID strength moves which means we combine TWO moves in one (ie. Lunge and raise). To make these moves easier on your core and back, separate these movements (ie. Lunge and then raise).
- Balance assist: Use probs like chair, pole or wall to help you balance (ie. squat into a chair)
- Do moves on an incline: Moves like planks, push ups, mountain climbers can all be done on an incline (ie. use a wall, bench of chair)
We’re so grateful for your support of this small biz and excited to help you SAY YES to those wonderful fitness feels REGULARLY and CONSISTENTLY aaallll year long! Being purpose driven and people focused we do notice when you’re absent so will regularly check in to see how you’re going, plus, love chatting all things health and fitness (and life) with you! Please know, we warmly welcome you to REACH OUT for support (or a casual chat) whenever you need
OTHER USEFUL RESOURCES FOR BEGINNERS
- Staying Fit When Pregnant
- Easing Back into Exercise After Having a Baby
- Five Things You May Not Know About Menopause